// Origin: Washington DC
// Genres: Brazilian/African
// Years Active: 2013- Present
// Website: cissapaz.com
Cissa Paz’s new album, Curandeira, which means “healer,” represents a culmination of personal and musical growth for the acclaimed singer-songwriter. Paz has earned a reputation as a musical innovator in the DC area along with three Wammie nominations and a dedicated following.
Her style is a unique blend of regional Northeast Brazilian styles—including forró, samba, and maracatu—with a twist of jazz, funk, and soul. As a composer and performer, Paz has always been interested in creating something new, combining her musical passions and interests in a way that not only celebrates her Brazilian African-indigenous roots but builds on them as well.
NOTABLE PERFORMANCE HISTORY
- Strathmore - Music at the Mansion
- Washington Performing Arts - Line Hotel DC
- Montpelier Cultural Arts Center - Laurel, MD
- Club Bonafide, NY
- First Fridays at Bronx Museum, Bronx NY
- Brazilian Folk Discoveries @ Library of Congress, Washington DC
- Strathmore - Summer Outdoor Series
- DC Jazz Festival - Yards Park Opening Night Featured Artist
- Clube do Choro - Brasilia, Brazil